So I’m in the middle of something ridiculously big. And although I’m not going to go into details because this just isn’t the place or time. Let’s just say it is bigger, and more daring, and more vulnerable than anything I have ever done.
Bigger than jumping out of a plane, bigger than starting my own business, bigger than falling in love, bigger than becoming a mom.
And being this vulnerable, this open, is TOUGH. Not tough like terminal illness, extreme poverty, or child abuse, but it is most definitely stretching me in ways I did not know I could be stretched.
And the hardest part of this whole thing is that I’m just in it.
So what does one do while going through the BIGGEST experience of her life?
And so I offer you my favorite 10 coping strategies that have been keeping me just shy of over the edge into mental breakdown.
1. The Ocean | Now I’m blessed to live driving distance to the beach, (but I think any natural habitat heals). There is something about the air by sea that changes my entire being.
2. Dance Parties | Turning up the tunes and shaking it in my living room is unbelievably cathartic. Nothing like a little JayZ, Justin T, and Rihanna to turn my mood around.
3. The Inner Circle | I find myself hiding a bit from large social gatherings and small talk, but my closest family and friends are seriously keeping me sane.
4. Perspective | This is hard, but it could be worse. Way worse.
5. Lean into the Upswing | I find that situations of this magnitude of vulnerability make you completely raw. But not just raw to pain, raw to love and joy, and it is so much easier to feel those in this broken open place. So when I find those moments I make sure to cherish them.
6. Find Sanctuary | So you know that empty mantel? Well I filled it and the rest of my home. And it is beautiful. I sit in this space and feel such peace and safety.
7. Choose Vulnerability | “No I’m not fine, but I’m hopeful and I’ll make it through whatever the outcome.”
8. Fill Me | With good food, delicious cocktails, gentle touch, sunshine, heart-pumping exercise, long drives with the windows down, laughter, songs that make me feel, and films that make me forget.
9. Let Go | Of expectations of how I think I should be, how I wish it was, how I think others are seeing this. Of assumptions and judgements. Of plans and opinions.
10. Forgiveness and Compassion | For the times when I let it get to me, lose my temper, become obsessive, choose to numb, play the victim, don’t want to get out of bed, cry at everything, take it out on others who don’t deserve it, etc. etc.
** DISCLAIMER – I suck at spelling and my grammar is even worse, but you know what? I’m not letting my inner perfectionist keep me from writing and posting here on this little blog. I mean come on, it’s a blog, so please excuse any errors, I promise it wasn’t on purpose.